View Single Post
Old
08-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Funding the arts is unnecessary. World class outfits like the RWB and WSO (and Jets) should be able to figure out how to make a go of it without government subsidies.
Personally, i do believe there are some things worth protecting (including the arts..AND the Jets). The almighty dollar is good and all, but it is still a zero sum game which certainly doesn't make for the most varied and thus enjoyable society.

In many realms, sure, I don't give a **** if I don't have a whole bunch of choice because some monopoly has taken over, for example, the paper tissue industry.

On the other hand, when it comes to cultural preservation (of which i would include sports teams, music, theatre, etc) variety is the spice of life. I would imagine the large majority of museums, do not operate at a profit, though we feel it necessary to protect our history, so protecting culture makes sense too.

Honestly, what I'd love to see, is a study examining all pro sports teams, and looking to see what sort of government subsidies, tax breaks, situational exceptions, etc, etc are made for them.

I'd go out on a limb and assume that Manitoba and Winnipeg aren't the only city/province/state that lends a hand to their pro-sports franchise. It would be interesting to see and would maybe put such things in better light, as in the amount of "breaks" compared to other franchises, and their stability, etc.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote