View Single Post
Old
08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
I know there are some on this board who feel the owners are making a ton of money and they are being greedy or cheap.

I just don't buy it. The owners would not be risking a lockout to nickel and dime the players. A lockout is going to be a PR disaster for the NHL, Bettman and the owners know this, but the fact that it is almost to that point tells me there really are many teams that will be joining the Coyotes in bankruptcy if something drastic isn't done.

I think part of the NHLPA strategy may be just that fact, that the owners don't want a lockout and will cave, but I just don't see that happening. I think the owners are resolved to wait this out until they get realistic cost assurance from a new CBA, something they clearly didn't get seven years ago.

The players are going to have to eventually realize a model where the majority of the league is losing money, some to the point of BK just isn't going to work. Most of these players cashed in big time, getting contracts far more than what they provide on the ice. It really sucks for a guy like Dustin Brown, but he is a rare example. Most players have come out the last seven years in pretty damn good financial shape.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote