Thread: Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #12
View Single Post
Old
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I agree. Also went with Ponich for the same reasons. Check out Ponich vs Bollig (remember what he did to Reaves?) on hockey fights. This is what else Ponich can bring to the table. You need a guy that can stand up for your teammates and not hurt you everytime he touches the ice (Twist or Janssen).

Edmundson may eventually be an upgrade over Ponich. Veilleux is intriguing too.

Everytime I consider voting for Kurker, or MacEachern, I think Max Gardiner, Max Tardy, Travis Erstad or Trevor Nill and several other high schoolers that stalled at the next level. More flounder than move on to the pros or next level in the Blues past history. Give them a year in a decent league. Lehtera is hard for me to vote for as well. I would be more tempted to vote for Eronen, since he came over once already this year for the Blues. Jaskin is closing in on my radar too.
I don't think it's very fair to compare Kurker to two guys drafted in the 7th round and a guy drafted in the 4th round who killed his own development by playing DIII hockey just because they were all drafted from HS. I can't recall a recent Blues 2nd rd HS draftee but Oshie was a late 1st rounder drafted out of HS. HSers are definiely harder to project than those playing Jrs but I don't think they should all be lumped together ignoring where they were taken in their respective drafts. Kurker was drafted in the 2nd rd for a reason and is said to have top-6 potential and plays a similar style to Backes and compares well to him at the same age. We really won't know what we have in Kurker and MacEachern until we get to see how they adapt to the college game but I don't think they should be discounted THAT much.

STL fan in IA is online now   Reply With Quote