Thread: Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #12
View Single Post
Old
08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
I don't think it's very fair to compare Kurker to two guys drafted in the 7th round and a guy drafted in the 4th round who killed his own development by playing DIII hockey just because they were all drafted from HS. I can't recall a recent Blues 2nd rd HS draftee but Oshie was a late 1st rounder drafted out of HS. HSers are definiely harder to project than those playing Jrs but I don't think they should all be lumped together ignoring where they were taken in their respective drafts. Kurker was drafted in the 2nd rd for a reason and is said to have top-6 potential and plays a similar style to Backes and compares well to him at the same age. We really won't know what we have in Kurker and MacEachern until we get to see how they adapt to the college game but I don't think they should be discounted THAT much.
Since 1985, the Blues have drafted 31 high school players. They have one top six forward. The most successful is Mike Grier in carving out any kind of NHL career. The highest drafted TJ Oshie will surpass him. The 2nd highest Craig Johnson didn't quite pan out to be the scorer he was projected to be, even though he scored well in the NCAA. Only these three spent anytime (150 games) in the nhl. I just can't get too excited about high school guys. WAY TOO hit and miss....remember Brian Lawton? I'm excited about these guys do not get me wrong, but it's like the 16 year old central american signings that the Cardinals make. Get to A ball and maybe I'll start getting interested in them as a prospect.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote