Thread: Prospect Info: St. Louis Blues Top Prospect #12
View Single Post
Old
08-29-2012, 05:54 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Agreed. It sounds like MacEachern is very skilled but also very raw. Some players are well rounded enough to make the leap from HS straight to college hockey but one of the worst things a player can do is try to bite off more than they can chew, not make the jump successfully and end up stunting their development in the process. Gardiner was set to play in the USHL the season after he was drafted with the agreement that he would go to U of Minn a year later but then a spot opened up that season and Gardiner went to U of Minn a year earlier than expected. He wasn't ready for that level of play yet, he only played a handful of games that season and it killed his development in the process. He'll be playing for Penn State this season (their first year with a NCAA DI hockey team) but I doubt he has mug if a chance at the NHL now.

MacEachern has a big hill to climb and most 3rd rd picks never make it no matter where they're drafted from but he's got a better shot of making it taking gradual steps up than potentially floundering by taking too big of a step up all at once IMO.
The Blues have a very high success rate drafting right out of the USHL vs. high school. Backes, Schwartz, and Palushaj are all byproducts of that league. That was another factor in why I rated Schmaltz higher than the high schoolers. I personally like the MacEachern pick more so than the Kurker pick, but excited about both. Excellent long range talent.

I may have to rethink my view of the prospect pool now with Andronov in the states.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote