View Single Post
Old
08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
no, not when stated like this, but every team didn't have all these exact players healthy every season that Turner played. Do I believe he was #2-caliber? Of course not, I'm simply stating it's a position one could take based solely on how good the Habs were.

Jean Gauthier, who played two full NHL seasons including one as a #5 with a poor expansion team, and couldn't catch on after that despite being just 30 when the league doubled in size?

Pete Goegan played 383 NHL games, just three seasons over 50 games exclusively in the NHL, none of them consecutive, and earned all-star consideration in one season.

Fontinato played 535 NHL games, seven consecutive seasons over 50 games exclusively in the NHL (and had the ability to play longer if not for an injury), and earned all-star consideration in two seasons, and other forms of recognition in two others.

Trust you don't need to put on glasses to see the difference between those two portfolios.

So in a roundabout way you are saying they weren't top-12 defensemen. It's quite possible that you and I are both right, considering I'm only saying they were 30th at worst.
Goegan had a much better season than Fontinatos two. Mind you that Goegan had injury problems too specially after being whacked in the head by Lindsay after a heated struggle in the corner.

I don't think either Fontinato nor Goegan belongs in the MLD both of them were top-3 defensemen for lousy defensive teams.