Thread: OT: Buying a suit
View Single Post
Old
08-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Adamcrazy3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You left out why you need the suit or what it's purpose is so it's hard to go on anything here but here's what I'd say.

Everyone should try to have one decent suit. I would not go to Moore's, their quality sucks. As others have said, go to a boutique place and see what they have. If you're looking at a mid-range suit in the 600 dollar range you might be able to get a Coppley (made in Canada and good quality) or a Hugo Boss. I've bought Coppley before (I have one that's about 13 years old back when they used to be called Cambridge) and it still looks brand new. I actually get compliments on it. Not bad for a suit that's over a decade old. At 600 bucks you may have to shop around for a deal, but you should be able to find one in that range. Going to the States is a great idea btw, then get it tailored when you get back home.

If you only have one suit I would also suggest you get a navy blue one. No stripes, two button single breasted. That's the standard classic suit. Why navy? It's versatile. It can be worn to business meetings, weddings or even funerals. If you're using it to job interview, a navy blue suit is the standard that people wear.

If you absolutely don't want navy for whatever reason, the second choice would be charcoal grey. Again, versatility is the key here. Black I would not get as it's too formal, looks really out of place in the summer time and some old school folks feel it should only be worn by waiters. I have a black suit, I wear it to business meetings on occassion but it gets nowhere near the use that my grey or blue suits get.

Lastly (and probably most importantly) make sure the suit FITS you. Fit is the key. Suits of the same size and style can still fit you differently. Put the suit on, try a few of them. See which ones fit the best and then make a decision. Don't just look at a label and buy on that criteria. Fit is just as important as the quality of suit. It's not one or the other... you need both.
What color should the shirt and tie be for an interview?? I really don't know what to wear lol

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote