View Single Post
Old
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
maybe i'm failing to realize something here... i thought there were two issues, but maybe there is a third that i had considered moot.

1)the IIHF agreement... essentially NHL contracts supercede those of euro-leagues.

2)the nationality issue... russians must (sporadically) serve their military service before departing (not an issue since Kast is not russian)

so, i wonder of the third...

3)CSKA refused to acknowledge that Zherdev had signed, and that the transfer had been paid... they refused to release him and kept the money despite the IIHF agreement.

I considered this moot because it violates 1)... however the agreement just ended, so presumeably as long as Kastitsyn is under contract with CSKA he can't leave. If the system there works like it does here (and it has never seemed that way to me before) then CSKA essentially owns the rights to Kastitsyn and Montreal drafted a player that legally cannot come to NA to play until we kiss enough ass over there to make the higher-ups happy in CSKA? So really, the only thing we have to be happy about (regarding our 10th overall pick in 2003) is that Kast can't play for anyone else in the NHL either...

Montreal, would you mind explaining the legalities of the problem aside from CSKA being pissed and refusing to allow a player to leave, when he may just hop a plane and come over regardless of what they say (a la Zherdev)??

1. The IIHF/NHL contract expires this summer (give or take a few weeks, don't know the exact day, but it expires shortly) So with the Zherdev situation, it will be fresh in their minds when they try and ink a new contract. No one can say what effect this will have, maybe it will be difficult for them to get a new deal done, or maybe it will be just a matter of money, I certainly don't know.

2. You got it. But Zherdev claims he's not Russian either, as he said he didn't have a Russian address, but he's more Russian then Kastsitsyn since he has played for Team Russia and Kastsitsyn hasn't. Still a minor concern.

3. From what I understand, CSKA would not release Zherdev cause they said he hadn't finished his milatary service, but the NHL didn't see a reason for this so they let him play in the NHL. But I really only know little about the situation, just that I will be interested to see this turns out. Hopefully it doesn't cause a problem for next year. I'd think whatever team lands Ovechkin, they would want to try and bring him over, so that's in our favor, as I would think the NHL puts heavy pressure in trying to get the IIHF to sign and enforce the NHL contracts.

As for Kastsitsyn just leaving. You can't do that. Zherdev had a signed contract, thus should have been in the NHL already. Kastsitsyn would not be allowed to play in the NHL unless he had a signed contract before the deadline. Once the deadline passes he can't come over. If the NHL allowed it, they would be in trouble with the IIHF who could take them to court.