View Single Post
Old
08-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Beezeral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know I'll have to learn it sooner rather than later, but if I can stay up for any shots in my glove's range, I will. When I mentioned strengths, it was more what I feel more confident with rather than actual strong points, and at this point I'd take my catching glove over the left pad any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I guess I made a mistake naming the thread then, since I don't want to be kicking at low shots when I can just turn them away on the butterfly. Oh well, people make mistakes.
This is the kind of play you are describing to me.

The story is irrelevent to my post but funny. Watch the 3:30 mark and watch until about 4:30. (Some NSFW language)

The goalie is doing the exact thing you describe, which is trying to save everything with his glove instead of using his pads and the result is that he is giving up a bunch of goals. Outside of maybe the first shot, none of those goals were difficult shots to stop, but the goalie clearly made it harder on himself because he never took the time to develop a butterfly.

Now watch a sub goalie playing with the same team in that same league. This time watch from 2:30 to 3:30 (Some NSFW language)

He isnt facing more challenging shots, and all he is doing is using solid technique to stop shots. The sub goalie shows that it doesnt take NHL talent to be a good goalie.

I may be completely wrong, but it seems to me that you are on your way to making the same mistakes the first goalie made when he started out, by deciding lateral movement and a proper butterfly were "too hard" and never learning it. The result is that he is a bad goalie on a struggling beer league team. Relying on your glove to stop everything causes you to lean forward and be off balance almost every time you make a save.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Beezeral: 08-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote