Thread: Speculation: Cap to drop to 58 mil
View Single Post
Old
08-29-2012, 05:52 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Not sure why you're using 70M here; 57% of HHRs that are marked for the players dictate the cap mid point. If every team spent to the cap max, the players share would exceed 57% and they'd be forced to return a percentage back to the owners via escrow.
The escrow number doesn't matter; the cap number does. Teams don't spend to the escrow.

Quote:
Just because the total share of the players revenue falls, doesn't mean every player has his salary reduced.

It's really not a hard concept. Without a rollback in salary, a player making 6M in a 70M cap will still make 6M in a 58M cap. With a proportionate rollback, said player would make ~5M.

You should really finish reading something before commenting. Like I already said, amnesty buyouts.
I understand the amnesty buyout point. My point was more that I think players are more likely to support rollbacks, and here's why: Most teams have full or near-full rosters near or above the $58m mark. If you don't have those rollbacks, amnesty buyouts happen; but at what percentage? It's unlikely the owners agree to 100%. If a player is likely to lose money from a buyout/new contract it's unlikely he'd support that idea. Think about Johan Franzen, for example. He's signed until 2020 at around $4m. Say the whole year is locked out. What if Kenny decides to buy him out as he'll be turning 34 early in 2013-14. How much does he then sign for? $2m somewhere, for a couple years? Does he just retire? How about Todd Bertuzzi? Sounds like a good buyout candidate if the cap drops dramatically.

Do those guys support buyouts or rollbacks?

Quote:
No rollback means current players wouldn't lose anything while future players would get the short end of the stick. And as history has shown, professional athletes are more then willing to pass the buck down the road.
The one thing is, how many current players would be affected by it going forward? Next year we wouldn't see the same kind of high offers and it would be as such going forward.

Quote:
Amnesty buyouts meanwhile see players get paid twice, once from the buyout, and again from their second contract.
But as I said earlier, the player might get paid less in those two checks than they would have without the buyout.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote