View Single Post
Old
08-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Signing Desharnais to a big long-term extension now would be ill-advised unless it's something like 3-3.5 M per season on a short term.

There's just too little of a sample size.

He was put in a fantastic situation with 2 power wingers and a coach who wouldn't even dare to break that line up.

Personally, I'd make him trade bait well before signing him long-term. Sell high. This would obviously be once Galchenyuk is considered ready, likely in off-season/training camp 2013. I see Plekanec's complete game as a much better fit as the #2 C behind a youngster like Galchenyuk. Then again, I also fully believe Plekanec would have outproduced Desharnais' numbers had he had Pacioretty and Cole. To me he's just a better player and his numbers got screwed by everything that went wrong last year and Rene Bourque deciding his season ended as soon as the trade happened.

Main problem is dealing Desharnais would lead to a total **** storm unless another quality Québécois is in the deal, or we get a pick that allows us to draft one (basically a 1st rounder). That's a hard deal to make.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote