View Single Post
Old
08-30-2012, 01:33 AM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
People often don't want to discuss the possibility of top 6 centers leaving their team, but it does happen. In the past year or so we've seen a lot of guys who are either top 6 centers, or who have the potential to become top 6 centers, move teams. Examples include guys like Mike Richards, Brad Richards, Jordan Staal, Jeff Carter, Mike Ribeiro, Derrick Roy, Brayden Schenn, Kyle Turris and Cody Hodgson. I think it's highly likely that more top 6 centers will be moving around in the coming year, but who are the prime candidates to change teams?

I'll get it started with some guys who I think might be available within the next year or so:

- Getzlaf: becomes a UFA next summer, if the Ducks have another poor season he might not want to stay. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the move as a deadline rental and/or in the offseason as a UFA

- One of Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski/Couture: not really a log jam problem since all of these guys except Thornton are very effective on the wing, but if SJ feel they need a shakeup, I could see one being dealt. I don't see any being moved if the Sharks are playing well, but if they're just kind of bumbling along at an 8th seed sort of pace, these guys all have a tonne of value, and any one of them could be a great trade piece for a shakeup

- One of Stastny/Duchene/ROR: not sure if one will actually get dealt, but in general it's been hard for teams to keep 3+ young, talented centers happy on the same team. Every one of these guys could be thinking "I should be a #1." No drama there at the moment, but a situation to watch long term. Maybe they move Duchene to the wing, but that seems like a waste of his talent to me

- Krejci: Seguin played wing last year, and certainly produced, but he's probably the most offensively talented player on the team, how long will the Bruins continue to play him out of position? Bergeron is a terrific #2, Kelly a terrific #3, if the Bruins ever move Seguin to center you have to think he'll be taking Krejci's job. Krejci could return a pretty terrific winger or a pretty terrific dman

- Briere: Giroux/Couturier/Schenn is the future at C in Philly. With that being said, Briere is very capable on the wing, already plays plenty of wing, and he's a huge playoff performer, so he could easily stay. I could see Briere or even Schenn being dealt, though, if the right stud dman was being offered
I've said it before, I'd love for Buffalo to help Philly with their defense problem to reacquire Danny B. Brennen, etc.

CraniumCram is offline   Reply With Quote