View Single Post
Old
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Can anyone tell me a bit about hockey card shows/expos or whatever? I know that the Toronto Sport Card Expo happens in Mississauga which is good, any other ones around Mississauga?

What should you look for as a beginner collector? I have absolutely no interest in paying for high end cards, I'd rather get a cheap set with a bunch of cards or find base cards for my favourite players so are card shows a good place to go for that type of thing or are they just for hardcore collectors? Any other advice for the Toronto one as a buyer (such as which vendors are good for buying 90-2000s base sets from)?
For a beginner, i'd suggest something such as O-Pee-Chee, Score, or even Upper Deck Victory. They're usually cheap, around $1.00 a pack or so. They're meant more for kids to collect, as opposed to sets such as The Cup.

As for the Card Expo's, i've never been to one so I can't really contribute to that. One thing I do like though, is that sometimes Beckett will go to the Expo's for card grading. I have no idea how much it would cost though.