View Single Post
Old
08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I've never been sold on Buzz Boll's nonoffensive abilities, though that could be from lack of information provided.
In the process of putting together his bio, I found some good quotes to substantiate both his defense and, to my surprise, an extremely high degree of multi-positional ability. I had seen him described as a "utility" player before, but didn't realize it meant he played a good bit at all three forward positions and at least a little at D. We might need to revisit listing him strictly as a LW.

Here are the relevant quotes:

Defensive ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiston Daily Sun 11/3/1934
All three [Boll, Kilrea, and Thoms]are amazing fast skaters and can do their share of scoring but their primary use will be for defensive purposes as they [are] all good back checkers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
He was a conscientious defensive player, often playing on a checking line with Bill Thoms and Bob Davidson. He was a guy who did everything well but nothing excellently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen 2/9/1943
Adams even advances Boll as a "very definite candidate" for the Hart Trophy as N.H.L. player most valuable to his team... he's going fast both ways this season.

Multipositional ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen 2/9/1943
Buzz was a defenceman when he helped Regina Pats win the Canadian junior hockey title in 1930.
^ This is the only primary reference I could find to him playing defense, but according to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame
In his eleven-year professional career, Buzz played all the forward as well as defensive positions.
... he did it in the NHL as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiston Daily Sun 12/25/1935
Buzz Boll, a veteran used in a utility role most of last season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette 1/1/1938
If Conacher is unable to play, it was expected Bob Davidson would be used on left wing on a line centred by Bill Thoms, with Buzz Boll being shifted from left to right wing to take Conacher's place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milwaukee Journal 10/29/1940
Impressive work in training camp won a... job for... Buzz Boll, who has been shifted to center and has impressed Dutton with his playmaking.
TBH, I drafted Boll as a safe 4th line LW. The more I find about him, the more I think he might be a hidden gem on the bottom-6.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote