View Single Post
Old
08-31-2012, 05:11 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Illuminati?
The Illuminati -- probably helped with alien technology -- are apparently blocking my computer from viewing of this video.

Speaking of computers, here is my brief and marginally interesting story of buying a desktop computer:
  • As my previous desktop is about a step and a half up from punch cards, I decided to purchase a new one, aided greatly by receiving Diablo 3 from my wife for my birthday. "You see, dear, that new game you gave me just won't work on our old system. Buy a new computer? Well, okay!" I am so smart, S-M-R-T!
  • After doing my homework on what was available and for what price, I found myself in Future Shop. They had a pretty decent system with 16 GB of RAM, a 2-TB hard disk and Intel Core i5. That's about 10 billion times better than what I previously had. Okay, 8.5 billion.
  • The sales guy, in showing me the system, asks if I am in a hurry to buy. I'm not. He mentions that they have a big sale coming up in 2 weeks. It's a VIP sale (whee!), by appointment only, and it's like Boxing Day type of deals. Great, I think, I'm okay with the price they listed in general, so knocking off some cash sounds great, even if it turns out to be mediocre. Sign me up.
  • 2 weeks go by and Mrs. Parent comes with me to the store. We locate "our" sales guy and we all find the computer in which I am interested. It's not on sale. As a matter of fact, none of the desktops are on sale, save the priciest: for the $999 system, they are knocking off $50. Woah! Back up the truck and fill it with desktops!! Furthermore, none of the monitors (sold separately, you know!) are on sale. I don't exactly feel very VIP. But we're there and, like I said, the original price was okay.
  • I ask sales guy about a recommendation a friend of mine (works for SAP) made: install a secondary SSD hard drive and just put the OS on it. Sales guy checks with technician and gets the thumbs up. We pick out a drive, he gives it all to the technician and Mr. Generosity says that they will not charge me for the extra Windows license. I'm feeling light-headed at the savings at this point. The tricked-out desktop will be ready in 1-2 days.
  • I call the store 3 days later, not having heard anything. Of course, it's ready. I go to the store and am presented a box. "Thank you for the box," I say. "Please now take the computer out of the box and show me it works." Technician hooks the computer up to a monitor -- I am permitted to enter the Tech Workshop Area; bucket list complete! -- and lo and behold, only 1 hard disk appears on screen. "Lucky we checked," says one technician to the other. Must control fist of death.
  • Technician configures the missing 2-TB disk as it should be. I leave the store.
  • Computer is indeed working great at home. Fast, fast, fast. Mr. and Mrs. Parent and both little Parents are pleased.
  • Today I peruse the Future Shop circular. Guess what computer is listed as $80 off? Mrs. Parent and I go back to the store and ask for this special to be applied to our purchase. To their credit (and, literally, to ours), they immediately comply and we come out with $120 knocked off our bill, as the special was inexplicably better in their system than what was listed in the circular. Justice!