View Single Post
Old
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
SuperUnknown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I dunno... Carolina has a lot of quick forwards who can jump out to create some SH breaks... Ryder seems a bit risky in that sense. If we didn't have shooters from the point amongst our D, maybe you could take that risk. But I seem to recall most of our shots in Game 4 especially coming from the D, and amongst Markov/Souray and Bouillon/Rivet, I just don't see shots from the point being a real weakness for us this season.

The real problem is more in terms of getting traffic in front of the net. And maybe in the last couple of games of just gaining the zone and keeping it. To me, our needs are more like: get somebody standing on Ward's toes (even Begin if nobody else will do it), and everybody else up front just work a whole lot harder at winning the battles along the boards so that we keep some sustained pressure.
That's why I put Markov and Ryder as switchable. Markov has a tendancy to move up closer to the net, he likes it, while Ryder had two good scoring chances that Cam Ward barely stopped from the blue line the past two games. He was put at the point in a last second attempt where he got a really nice shot on Ward and then he was at the point last game during a PP and once again had a terrific shot right on the net.

One of the problems we've had on the PP is getting good shots getting to the net, mostly because we don't move the puck quick enough and we're kind of slow releasing the puck from the point. The inclusion of Ryder and a different tactic (like I said, almost three of large on the PP) with a big body like Bonk in front of the net, should help with that.

Souray has a booming shot, but he often misses the net and it's often blocked. He's not that good at one-timers.

Markov has an okay shot, but he most often passes and move up the puck.

I'm just saying this because our PP has been garbage lately with either Ryder-Higgins+another stooge or with Kovalev-Ribeiro-Bulis. For the short time they had on the PP, Plekanec-Perez-Zednik weren't much better either.