View Single Post
Old
09-01-2012, 01:35 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I usually disagree with you DAC but here I'm with you 100%. Kaberle had a bad year by his standards, people are probably just really disappointed he wasn't the machine he was in his good Toronto years.

Kaberle acknowledged himself that he was disappointed by his last season and that he was out of shape. Recognizing a problem is the first step in the way of fixing it and its known that he's working very hard this summer. As stated in the OP its a bit foolish to consider him the 6th or 7th D, he might very well be our no4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat
Disagree with many of the points. Kaberle is the type of defensemen we do NOT need more of, a soft puck moving defenseman. He was acquired for Spacek who's contract would have expired at the end of the season... And Spacek, even though I dislike him, would have served better as a UFA to the Canadiens franchise than two years of Kaberle at 4 million per.

We gave away the chance to add size and strength on the point - an area where we are SEVERELY lacking - for two years of a player who's on GM basically said was worthless.

Now the Habs are stuck with a small and expensive blue line, with many guys all playing the same role. Makes little sense.
Markov (PMD) - Subban (all round defensemen, shooter on the PP)

Kaberle (PMD) - Gorges (defensive all the way)

Emelin (bone crusher extraordinaire) - Bouillon (old, small but ferocious)

Diaz/Weber (average and soft)

Its not nearly as bad as you're saying. Subban, Gorges, Bouillon and Emelin are not soft by any means. Its hard to say what Markov is right now but while he wasn't a physical player, he wasn't soft either. Only Bouillon, Diaz and Weber are ''small'', Markov and Subban are not tall but they are heavy (especially Subban), Kaberle is actually 6'2'' (and uses his size for reach more than physical domination obviously). More importantly they all have specific roles. Markov and Kaberle are our only real PMD and these are usually very valuable to teams.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 09-01-2012 at 01:49 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote