View Single Post
Old
09-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
lol wut.... you really think American players only learn the game outdoors? a lot of the "core states" you named don't even get frozen ponds to play on anymore with the warmer climate these days.

I grew up in the north and only ever played outdoors ONCE in my entire life. Just like all the other kids, I learned the game and played the game indoors.

Your point about no talent coming from the south has already been disproven multiple times in this thread so I won't bother.
At no point did I ever say anything resembling what you have said. I never said that there was "no" talent coming out of the south. What I did say is that there very few players coming out of the South, and the prospects of a significant increase were slim. I think the facts support my statements, but if you can rebut my assertions with facts, please try to do so. But please don't say "there was this one guy who got drafted by an NHL team," or, "there is another guy who might get drafted by the NHL." Talk about the number of guys skating a regular shift in the NHL or AHL who learned to play hockey south of the Mason-Dixon line. You probably can't, because there probably aren't.

As for outdoor ice, it isn't an absolute prerequisite to learn to skate and play hockey outdoors, but I'll bet there are very few regulars in the NHL or KHL who could say "I never tried skating outdoors before, I wonder what that's like?" Skating and playing hockey require repetition to get good, and its hard to get ice time on indoor rinks in places like Dallas where there is a lot of competition from general skaters, figure skaters, etc. Also, a lot of kids can't afford expensive hockey equipment and all the fees that go toward renting ice time and travelling to other cities to find good competition. Bottom line, it is no accident that most of the world's best hockey players come from places like Canada, Russia, Sweden, and the northern border states of the U.S. where outdoor ice is readily available to learn to play the game.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote