View Single Post
Old
09-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Kaberle was awful for the Habs last year. And I think he was probably about similarly awful the year before, although I didn't watch him as closely so couldn't say for sure.

One June 30th, I would have given him away for free in order to be rid of his cap hit, in the hopes (perhaps vain) that I could spend his money more fruitfully on the UFA market.

Today, I'm resigned to keeping him, since we have nothing better to do with his cap space and there is still some hope that he might bounce back, that he might serve as a reasonable insurance policy (say on Markov) and ultimately save us having to make another ill-advised trade (like the one that brought Kaberle in in the first place) in a desperate bid to try to replace the irreplaceable. Kaberle was not put in a position to succeed last season in joining a plummetting team with no really good complementary defense partner, so I'm willing to think that maybe last season wasn't the Final Word on Kaberle.

But I think folks are fooling themselves if they want to go the revisionist route and overlook how bad Kaberle was last season.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote