View Single Post
Old
09-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Going forward, maybe the most important young player on our team is Luke Schenn. With our defense in its current state we need him to develop into a Shut Down dman who can log big minutes for us.

My question for the posters here is what player currently or in the past represents Luke Schenn's potential.

Right now i see him as a Brooks Orpik type of guy, with a bit more mobility and a bit more physical.

But what can he develop into? What is his ceiling?
Schenn is not that mobile. When you watch him on the ice, he looks like he's moving at a different pace as the rest of the action on the ice. Maybe if he slims down he can get back to "slow but still effective" catgory but he's basically so slow that he compromises his own ability to make plays under pressure, which magnifies how ineffective his puckhandling and decision making can be, which leads to a decrease in confidence and increasingly garbage play.

I think he can be a bit like Luke Richardson if he really simplifies his game and focuses in on a particular role and play within his limitations. Take the body, rely on the other defenseman to corral loose pucks, funnel all pucks to the other side for breakouts, don't press the offense, etc.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote