Thread: Speculation: Dead Wings Era 2.0
View Single Post
Old
09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
jroc86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I think you misunderstand Helm's game. Right now, he's not a responsible defense-first player. He's an energy line guy, first and foremost.
Hes a lightning fast center that never takes a shift off, has unreal speed, competes hard and finishes every check he can ... did I just describe Helm or Kris Draper? Helm value as a defensive center is pretty significant IMO. While he doesn't have the hands/brains/finishing ability of Pav or Z his hockey IQ and positional awareness is a few notches above Abby for sure.

I'm not trying to sell the guy as a potential 60 point scorer - I'm just saying even with the Helmer as our third line center it shouldn't relegate the lines expectations to plumber status. Assuming we don't buy somebody out post CBA or trade them for a dman (and Brunner and Nyquist stick fulltime) odds are Helm should be flanked by a couple wingers who "should" throw up 20ish goals a campaign (Sammy/Bert/Cleary) and his style and tempo he plays with could really be a good fit with a couple older/bigger bodied guys that can hang onto the puck down low and actually have soft mitts.

Given the dismal end to the season, the strikeout of free agency, and the impending lockout I might just be looking at the glass half-full too much haha ... hopefully we actually have some hockey to watch soon to see whether Im right or not haha.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote