View Single Post
Old
09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
How Pulock and Morrissey will control a game are totally different. Morrissey will control a game through puck movement and skating while Pulock will control it by positional play and reads. I guess it depends on what you deem more important.

I will say this, Pulock has the game to become a (+/-) fiend. He was +33 last season and I think he will be a plus player throughout his career. His ability to shutdown at one end and create at the other is only 2nd to Seth Jones, in my mind.

Morrissey has his struggles defensively, but I think he is on the same curve Morgan Rielly was on. He's prime to take on a big role with the Raiders this upcoming season. He's a bit stockier than Rielly, but doesn't have that elite vision that Rielly has, but that may come in time. I think the Raiders will be better this season and Morrissey will be a big reason why.

Theodore has to show me a lot more, like playing some better defense, before I would rank him ahead of Pulock or Morrissey. Theodore has solid offensive instincts but his play away from the puck needs to improve.
Well, reason that I ask is because there are two things that have me thinking he may drop on draft day (although he could turn out better than most). Its really just the way I think NHL teams think on the day.

#1: Every year, there are guys that go much higher and sooner than others, even if they do have more question marks than others. In 2012, Hampus Lindholm and Derrick Pouliot have things to work on defensively, but have huge upside when it comes to controlling the pace of the game through mobility, speed, and puck movement. This forces other guys to be picked later.

#2: Teams tend to like players with large frames but alot of room to fill. Another reason why Lindholm was selected quite soon and why Ceci was picked later. People questioned whehter Ceci could develop much more than he is now. In 2011, IMO this is why teams loved Huberdeau and Scheifele.

However, with that said, teams love dominance (whether that be offensive, physicality, or smartness), and one thing Pulock has going for him is his wicked slapshot.

So my question, like regarding Ceci, is there much more we haven't seen quite yet with Pulock, and can he really take control as a #1 NHL defenseman, or do you think he'll round off as a #2 minute muching d-man with a wicked slapper? Obviously a premature suggestion, but I'm too anxious to actually wait to see him play during regular season to make my rankings lol

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote