09-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Defenseman
Tim Erixon
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 205
How Acquired: Trade with New York Rangers, July 23rd, 2012 (along with Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, and NYR 2013 1st round pick - in exchange for Rick Nash, Stephen Delisle, and a conditional 2013 3rd round pick)

Analysis: Tim Erixon was originally selected in the first round (23rd overall) by the Calgary Flames at the 2009 NHL Draft. Originally born in Port Chester, NY, Tim's father is former Rangers defenseman Jan Erixon. After Jan's retirement, the family relocated back to Jan's home country, Sweden, where Tim was raised and honed his hockey skills. After being drafted by the Flames, Tim refused to sign with them and demanded a trade to the Rangers, who saw the potential that lay within and sent two second round picks (Markus Granlund, Tyler Wotherspoon) to Calgary, along with prospect Roman Horak, in exchange for his rights. Erixon immediately signed on with the Rangers, the franchise with which he spent the last year. He appeared in 18 games in the Big Apple, recording 2 assists and 8 penalty minutes. With the team's AHL affiliate in Connecticut, Erixon scored 3 goals and 33 points in 52 games.

Pros: Big, mobile skater, can play physical if he has to, good shot
Cons: Not a huge upside, can he produce at the NHL level?

Realistic Expectation: While he may be the early centerpiece of returnees for the only star player we've ever seen in Columbus, we have to keep our hopes for Tim Erixon in some check for now. He's a big kid with a lot of upside, but he is still very much learning the game. Top side potential, I think we have a good second pairing guy here, who can give us maybe 20-25 quality minutes on a nightly basis, and could possibly develop into a second unit powerplay quarterback. I would compare his style with that of Paul Martin, though it will be tough for him to reach that level. For this season, I think it's safe to pencil Tim in for a #6 or #7 spot on the roster, depending on many variables.

Last edited by Sore Loser: 09-03-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote