09-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Defenseman
Ryan Murray
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 198 lbs
How Acquired: Drafted 2nd overall at 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Foreword: I've had the fortunate pleasure of watching Ryan Murray play hockey since he was 15 years old, and in that time I've seen him play easily 150+ times. I've broken apart every aspect of his game, and I can honestly say that there are no glaring weaknesses in his game. While I thought we could have maybe used Alex Galchenyuk a little bit more, I could not have been more thrilled to see us select Ryan with the #2 overall pick.

Analysis: After being selected 9th overall at the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft, Murray burst onto the scene just over 18 months later with the Everett Silvertips, and made an immediate impact as a 16 year old player. Murray's 3+ years in the WHL have seen him produce 104 points in 168 games, to go along with excellent two-way play and amazing leadership qualities. Murray's play earned him the team's captaincy as a 17 year old, something that I can attest doesn't happen every day in the WHL. He also won a bronze medal with Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championships.

Pros: Elite level skater, great positioning, underrated offensive instincts, solid passer, superb leadership qualities
Cons: Size will be a question mark, nothing really flashy about his game

Realistic Expectations: I'll come right out and say that I think Ryan Murray makes this team this season. I know he's good enough to do so, and he has the desire to play at the highest level. I think he's very close to NHL ready, and can certainly play on our third pair alongside a guy like Adrian Aucoin. Should he be sent back to junior, he'll be sent back to a hungry Everett team that should compete much harder on a nightly basis, a situation that should see him excel. Future potential: this guy is a top-pairing defenseman with some powerplay skill, top penalty kill unit skill, and captain written all over him. If he gets anywhere near as good as he should, nobody's feelings will be hurt about losing the draft lottery, or passing up on Galchenyuk.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote