View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
KHL has made a great progress over its 4 years, but was Helo expecting it to leave NHL far behind? Like Barys arena to be built in a week or what? Or Novokuznetsk building a 20k seat arena?
I saw that TraktorBang video referred to, but what he said was only his personal opinion. He doesn't like black crowds - and I do, he wants the commentator to scream like an idiot or Tcherdantsev - and I don't etc.

Obviously some points are true, but there's another side to every one of them.

KHL needs bigger arenas? It would be cool, but I'd like to see those 5-8k arenas being sold out regularly first. And a lot of arenas are quite good.
KHL has bad broadcasts? Sure, overall, but broadcasts from SKA, Dynamos, Atlant, home games are pleasure to watch, Omsk and SYU are working on HD. Growing process.
KHL-TV has bad commentators - I tend to agree, but, again, it's a growing process. And I like the VGTRK brigade, especially since they got rid of Tvaltvadze.
KHL has terrible marketing - the most unarguable and obvious flaw with little changes, but hopefully it's an experience matter.

What makes the KHL less attractive, and does that job better than any old arena, is the imparity and wallet battle. When one player's salary dwarves one team's combined salaries and doesn't count against the cap, when a conference doesn't have 5 competitive teams, when a team's top scorer writes an open letter against his team's manager, well, this works against reputation. This is embarassing and pathetic

And before trying to promote itself to Italy and Mongolia, I would expect the KHL to work a bit on becoming popular in Russia. Or there will be a neverending circle.

There's a season in 5 hours, and this subforum doesn't have a thread?)

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote