View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 10:10 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I hate when people say that. Couturier fell last year for a "reason" too, and it was obviously a pretty crappy one. Tyler Myers was ranked higher than 12th -- 4th, I think, to be exact -- in his draft year, and he fell for "a reason" (because Boychuck, Filatov, Teubert, and Beach are obviously better players??)

If the guys who fell don't pan out, the reasons are only going to be clear in hindsight, because plenty of really really good players have fallen past prospects who can't even crack an NHL roster.
Couturier didn't really fall. He went a couple of spots lower than expected.

I see this reasoning constantly, but is it definitive that Couturier went too low? We've just finished year 1 of development for that draft, and you are already claiming Couturier went lower than he deserved too. Maybe you can make that claim and it will have validity in 5-6 years. As of now, he's simply a 19 yr old player who was given the opportunity to play in the NHL, where some picked above him were not, and he had a solid (and very much unspectacular) season.

Couturier is to me becoming the poster boy of how people misjudge and preconcieve how successful draft day decisions were. Because Couturier made the NHL straight away and had a solid season does not neccessairly mean in the long-run he'll have a more successful career than Huberdeau, Strome or Zibanejad, or other players taken below him.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote