Old
05-02-2006, 08:55 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
My thoughts:

I dont think we should blow up the team. Forsberg is only singed for next year so I think we need to take one more shot. After next year, blow it up and rebuild. I think injuries played a big part in not being a cohesive team in the playoffs. With that said, this team needs some adjustments to compete in the "new" NHL.

Forward
The first line is fine (resign gagne)
Gagne Forsberg Knuble

The second line in my mind is
Umberger Carter ????????

This line needs a puck speedy, shifty puck carrier that can fly down the wing, make some moves, pull the players towards him and dish the puck to Carter for his nasty shot. Someone along the lines of an Max Afinogenov. He is a free agent, but doubt Buffalo is letting him go. Short term fix I am thinking Prospal or Whitney. If we could somehow get Bertuzzi without giving up any of the core young players then go for it.

Third line
Richards Handzus ?????

I think we sign Dumont from Buffalo. They have basically their whole team to resign, someone can be taken away. He adds speed and goal scoring on the "3rd" line, and can bounce up on the first two when needed.

Forth line
Eager Primeau (if healthy) Kapanen

Extras are Rado, Potulny, Savage

Defense
Keep Pitkanen, Gauthier, Meyer, Hatcher (who I thought played a smart series with his speed limitations and injuries) Lose Rathje and Desjardins. Replace them with speedier players. Resign Johnnson if healthy and the price is right. Only players I cant think of at this point that are free agents are Kubina, Sarich, Redden. Doubt we can afford Redden and I would be more then happy with Sarich to play the stay at home guy for Pitkanen.

Hypothetical roster looks like this

Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Umberger Carter Prospal/Bertuzzi/FA - Keys speed, playmaking and passing
Richards Handzus Dumont
Eager Primeau Kapanen
Savage Potulny Rado

Pitkanen Sarich
Hatcher Johnnson
Gauthier Meyer

If we can upgrade over Johnnson and get someone better so be it but I doubt we can afford the Jovanovski's, Reddens, etc. Umberger, Carter and Richards are a year older. Nitty/Esche still in the picture, use whoever is not the #1 as trade bait.

Whitney would be ideal to play with Carter. If we sign Whitney and Kubina and resign KJ and Gags, I think they have a good chance. I'd throw Dimitrakos on the 3rd line, I don't know if we can afford Dumont.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote