View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Couturier didn't really fall. He went a couple of spots lower than expected.

I see this reasoning constantly, but is it definitive that Couturier went too low? We've just finished year 1 of development for that draft, and you are already claiming Couturier went lower than he deserved too. Maybe you can make that claim and it will have validity in 5-6 years. As of now, he's simply a 19 yr old player who was given the opportunity to play in the NHL, where some picked above him were not, and he had a solid (and very much unspectacular) season.

Couturier is to me becoming the poster boy of how people misjudge and preconcieve how successful draft day decisions were. Because Couturier made the NHL straight away and had a solid season does not neccessairly mean in the long-run he'll have a more successful career than Huberdeau, Strome or Zibanejad, or other players taken below him.
He was a projected 1st - overall before he fell. Falling out of the top-5 is about as precipitous a fall as falling from 20-ish to the 2nd round. RNH, Landeskog, and Larsson have made good cases for why they were picked ahead of him.

The same that is said of Couturier can also be said of Cam Fowler and perhaps Brandon Gormley. In my opinion, there is no reason why Florida, the Islanders, and especially Winnipeg should have passed on him.

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote