View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I guess I remember Conacher more fondly than others, but he left more of a lasting impression to me than Armstrong did. Not to knock on Armstrong, but Conacher was LA's go-to-center on their top checking line. In the dying moments of a game, Melrose would send Gretzky or Kurri on the ice with Conacher and Taylor.

Barry Melrose called Conacher the hardest working player on his team (I guess in that sense you can draw a comparison to Derek Armstrong). I know Conacher didn't put up Armstrong like numbers, but I really thought his line was one of the only ones on the Kings that could check and occasionally provide some production (they were a terrific line along the boards).

Although the OP asked for the best two-way player, which Conacher is far from. Kopitar is head and shoulders above everyone else in Kings history in that category, followed by Jari Kurri.
Conachar was a great checking-line forward, I agree Ziggy. That said, as you pointed out, that's different than a two-way player, hence why to me, and seemingly most people, Conachar isn't part of this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
My tops would have to be:

Goring
Taylor
Kurri

then Kopitar, who is gaining on them.
I'll leave Goring to our older fans, as I didn't see him play as a King and barely remember him as an Islander either. As for the other, I agree. Taylor was to the Triple Crown line what Kurri was to any line he and gretzky were on. Kurri was a great offensive player, but he was very defensively responsible as well. That part of his game was always way underrated because he was to busy putting up gaudy goal totals with Wayne.

Just due to longevity, my vote would go to Dave Taylor. In the future though, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mike Richards or Anze Kopitar taking that crown though.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote