Thread: League News: Around the NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 04:06 PM
SBraun

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
You know what pisses me off... The assertion Ovechkin is a bad captain, in comparison to Landeskog.

Ovechkin has carried this team every year, always scoring the most in the regular season and playoffs. What more can he do?
I believe that Landeskog has been praised for his all-around game; that he's dependable in all three zones.

Ovechkin has had six more years than Landeskog to develop that all-around game in the NHL . . . and yet Hunter had to bench Ovechkin during large parts of the playoffs last season because Ovechkin couldn't even be trusted on the ice when the team needed to protect a lead.

What kind of "leader" refuses to make improvements to his game that the Caps have been trying to get him to make ever since his rookie year? Hanlon even benched Ovechkin late in his rookie year for not being defensively responsible. Obviously, that benching had no effect at all, since Ovechkin last season remained just as undependable.

And where has Ovechkin "carried" his team to, since he can't score enough to get them out of the second round? Oh, and you'll say that it's the fault of his teammates . . .? I don't think Ovechkin has "carried" Caps anywhere. He has failed right along with them. I have higher expectations for a captain than just scoring a few goals.