View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 05:31 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah I can't believe we're having that argument again that Mats Naslund's peak is even close to Markus's. It just isn't jkrx. You can give me the BS about competition, but Markus's three year peak far outstrips Mats' no ifs, ands, or buts about it, even taking more difficult competition into account. Unless you think there were about 10 more players playing during the 80s who were better than the best player during the early 2000s (something that just isn't true), then Markus's peak is better.

I understand Mats having the great playoff run when they won the Cup (I don't see it as a Smythe worthy performance. for instance I see Carbonneau, Roy, and Robinson as being more important in that series at least) but I just can't say that one defining playoff run was more important than what Markus did. I can't do it.
Markus peak years are the three seasons between 01-04. His closest rival in total points that season were Todd Bertuzzi (who played less games than Markus) and in PPG his closest rival were Thornton. How does that stack up vs. Gretzky, Lemieux, Coffey, Nicholls, Kurri, Hawerchuk, Savard, Messier, Stastny, Yzerman and Mullen?

Or have we really come to that point when that group is equal to Bertuzzi, Shanahan, Thornton, Iginla, Demitra, Alfredsson, Hossa, Sundin, Jagr and Sakic?

Not to mention Mats international record which is exceptional compared to Markus. Sorry but I rather have a competitive hard-working defensivebly responsible offensive winger than a guy who just happened to catch a perfect storm for three seasons only to return to being above average.

Not to mention creampuffs like the Sedins.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote