View Single Post
Old
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
cam042686

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
IMO games 3 and 8 of the 1972 series are at least as good as any game in 1974*. But WHA's Team Canada definitely played better as a team than the NHL version in 1972. I'm not sure about the Soviets; they were probably a little better in Moscow this time.

* games 1, 4 and 6 are the best for me. Unfortunately, the DVD set doesn't have the 5th game (though I know that some footage of that game exist - which is available on YouTube, for example)
As both Rick Smith and Brad Selwood told me for my book "The Forgotten Summit," Team Canada was very well prepared for the Soviets. They watched the games from 1972, as well as films from the WC's from 1972, 73 and 74 and Lars Erik Sjoberg spent time with them telling them how the Soviets would play. (Coach Billy Harris had faced the Soviets as a player in the 1969 WC's and as coach of Sweden coached against them in the 72 WC's and Olympics so he knew them very well.) As a result Team Canada 74 played very well as a team. The difference really came down to talent - the Soviets in the end were better. Having said that if the officiating in Moscow had been better or at least neutral Canada may have been able to escape with a tie as the series was very close.

As for the individual games I thought Games 1, 4, and 7 along with the first half of Game 6 were the best.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote