View Single Post
Old
09-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Staal is a great player no doubt, but he didn't have top line mates or minutes really especially as a rookie.

Compared to other rookies of recent years though:

07-08 Kane (74) and Backstrom (Wsh) (69) both put up more than Landeskog.
08-09 Bobby Ryan (59)
09-10 Matt Duchene (55)
10-11 Jeff Skinner (63) & Logan Couture (56)

Like I said I'm not saying Landeskog isn't good. but I guess with all this hype it sounds he put up 65+ points Admittedly I was a little surprised at how low the rookie scoring has been the past few years as I kind of assumed it hovered around 60-70 for the leaders.

I realize most of those previous leaders didn't post significantly more than Gabriel, just not sure I'm ready to buy into him being the go-to guy. But who knows I've been wrong before. I just hope theres a hockey season to find out!
While I still think it was a bit too early to name him captain, I don't get your point. You are equating offensive production with leadership. Often times on ice performance goes hand in hand with leadership, but being a star point producer isn't a pre-requisite to being a captain. In a captain you look for hard work, intangibles, locker room presence, on ice leadership, etc. Anyway, my point is I wouldn't look at his point total as an indication of whether or not he can be an effective leader.

Edit: I think I misread your post. It looks like you were commenting on the "special player" part and not the captaincy. Sorry about that.