View Single Post
Old
09-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Candyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
While I still think it was a bit too early to name him captain, I don't get your point. You are equating offensive production with leadership. Often times on ice performance goes hand in hand with leadership, but being a star point producer isn't a pre-requisite to being a captain. In a captain you look for hard work, intangibles, locker room presence, on ice leadership, etc. Anyway, my point is I wouldn't look at his point total as an indication of whether or not he can be an effective leader.

Edit: I think I misread your post. It looks like you were commenting on the "special player" part and not the captaincy. Sorry about that.
I largely agree with you, but I also believe there is a correlation between top point getters on their teams and leadership. Most NHL captains are also the top point getters (if the captain is a forward). It's not exclusive to the team point leader, but it does and should play a factor. to be a leader on and off the ice, you first have to be a leader on the ice.