View Single Post
Old
09-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Ballroomblitz

vCash: 500
Here are my thoughts....

The OHL being in Ontario has so many fish in the net every year there is no time or incentive to go out and recruit OJHL players. granted there are plenty of players in OJHL that can play OHL, however were generally overlooked in their draft year due to having late growth spurts, puberty or needed a year or two to get to the next level.

Plenty of OJHL players do end up being scouted / recruited by QMJHL teams since their is less of a player pool there. The QMJHL knows from experience the late bloomers who are a year or two behind catch up and in some cases surpass the first crop, but a player has to determine if two to three years of Major Junior is worth the gamble as time goes past quickly and it would take a year minimum to get on scouts radars.

The large portion of what players in the OJHL wish to attain is usually NCAA Div 1 schoalerships. I have been informed top schools recieve 18 D1 schoalerships of which 14 are divied up as full schoalerships while the remaining 4 are partials. The numbers can be divied up different ways, but that is what I was told in meetings. NCAA Division 1 IVY League schools are zero athletic schoalerships, however will give financial assistance based upon need. NCAA Div 3 Schools do not offer schaolerships, but an option for those with money who wish to carry on with hockey.

So for many the OHL route is not a primary goal as time is working against you, NCAA Div 1 offers far more benefits and choice based upon the number of kids who graduate the NCAA route.

Ballroomblitz is offline   Reply With Quote