View Single Post
Old
09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
cyclones22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Right, but it was still DT and his staff who made the picks. Regardless of their development system and their philosophy, which caused them to be fired and replaced by Lombardi with an opposite view, they still identified the talent and had those three players stocked for the future.
DT and his place as a King GM is an interesting thing. I agree with you for the most part, but I remember that for 3 consecutive years, the Kings drafted a player who really slipped in the draft. Brown, Tukonen and Kopitar. All 3 of those guys were rated more highly than when they were drafted, all things considered. I believe those threads still exist in the archive here when each was drafted. So you can say they were fortunate or scouted well, but I'd lean towards fortunate. Tukonen of course never panned out. But Quick, that was obviously a home run pick where I'd give the scouts full marks.

I do agree with others that the development is just as important if not more so than the drafting, and that's where the Lombardi system really excels. Brown should've never played his draft year. Ironically, the lockout really helped his development because he spent his entire second season in the AHL instead of the pressbox again.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote