Thread: Confirmed with Link: Zach Smith, 4 years, 1.88m AAV
View Single Post
Old
09-05-2012, 09:43 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
If Smith can play like he did the first half of the season, this contract is a MASSIVE steal for the Sens. If he plays like he did in the 2nd half... it's WAY too much term. (and yes, I know he played a ton of games the year before w/the Bingo playoff run and all...)

Price is probably about right, though. If he'd have been more consistent last year, he probably could have had more say in his salary.

It's a weird deal, to be honest. You'd have thought he'd want to put together a solid season from start-to-finish before signing a deal with this kind of term, right? Like, we saw a glimpse of potential from October through until just after Christmas, but then it all sort of fell apart as the season wore on. You'd think he'd only want to sign a 1 or 2 year deal, have a consistently productive season, and THEN cash in. 4 years at $1.7 doesn't make a lot of sense for Zach Smith, unless he thinks he hit lightning in a bottle this year from Oct-Jan (and I'm not saying that's the case, that Oct-Jan was a fluke, I'm just curious about the contract). Like, I'm curious as to how Smith sees this contract.

All that being said, good signing by Murray. A weird one, to be sure. That much term at that salary is a bit odd.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote