View Single Post
Old
09-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Fishhead

vCash: 500
Really interesting read.

Not many assets were wasted in the rebuild. Even those that seem wasted (pick for Cammy>Teubert>Penner) turned out to have an impact. It was a perfect storm of awesomeness for once, rather than the old "If something can go wrong for the Kings, it will" we are used to.

One thing I would add to this is Lombardi is a straight shooter with his players. He doesn't sugar coat things, he is straightforward and tells them like it is. When he was meeting each player at the rally, you could see the sincerity and closeness he has with the players on this team. I'm a firm believer in if you want to get the most out of a person, tell him exactly what your expectations are. None of this "do your best" stuff, you give them a goal to reach.

We've heard about the culture and "right player" stuff ad-nauseum, but his ability to see past talent to see what makes a player tick is really impressive. I personally believe that the tightness of that room had a lot more to do with their domination this year than talent level. Those guys went to war for each other each and every game. There were off games by guys here and there, but I can't remember a single time where a player let up or wasn't tenacious on a play.

Fishhead is online now   Reply With Quote