View Single Post
Old
09-06-2012, 12:02 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Tangradi won't get the powerplay time Kunitz gets. Unless he takes Kunitz's spot, at which point Kunitz will be a 40-45 point player. If Tangradi comes in and puts up 40 points without top line powerplay time that's a really good season. Kunitz put up 43 ES points last year.

When you basically only have 1 powerplay unit that gets any decent time, you can't have all 6 of your top 6 forwards on the powerplay. So you can't judge them all on their total points.

True, Tangradi will not take Kunitz's spot on the top PP unit. However, one of the things we need to improve as a team going forward -- and this may not happen for a few more years until we can get more skilled forwards & Dmen into our line up -- is improve our 2nd PP unit.

Tangradi is sure to be a fixture in front of the net on the 2nd PP. If we can see a guy like Dustin Jeffrey return fully healed and ready to go, he could be the guy who can quarterback the 2nd PP from the right half wall, with a right-hander like TK on the other side. What we're missing there is an NHL-ready Morrow or Pouliot to complete the unit, but if Tangradi & Jeffrey perform well this season, you can see that we've got the makings of a decent 2nd PP unit, in which Tangradi should be able to put up some points and get the experience to take over Kunitz's role someday.

All that being said, I do not see Tangradi as a top-6 winger this season unless he just blows people away -- and I've always been a Tangradi supporter. I think it is more likely that he gets bottom 6 time this season and work his way up through the line up. I also don't think Shero is done making moves to improve this roster (i.e. trades), but all GMing is on hold until the CBA gets sorted out.