View Single Post
Old
09-06-2012, 08:23 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
I havent seen it mentioned, but some kids that have the potential to be decent OHL players simply realize and understand that making it to the NHL is a very very very long shot for them. They may simply enjoy hockey at that level they play because they can get an NCAA scholarship, get a great education, and play with their buddies until they go to play at school.

Obviously if NHL teams show interest etc that is a different story, but I;m trying to use reason in how I would think.

If i had the potential to maybe make the OHL and be a decent player, or go NCAA on a partial or full scholarship realizing I was the absolute long shot at professional hockey, I think I would choose to have a great time with my friends and stay closer to home.

Alternatively there are people who would love to strap em on for even just one game.

Perhaps that is the reason behind some players motives. One example is Brandon Francisco of the Kitchener Rangers last season. He was used regularly on the 3rd line, but also a healthy scratch some nights and told the coaches this off season he wanted his release so he could go play in a lower league, have some more fun, get some more minutes. He isnt giving up his dream, but being realistic and looking at hockey as a passion and past time, not a career. He just wants to enjoy it. This is a player that at one point in his OHL career was regarded as a promising player.

Aside from this, I'd guess NCAA eligibility, size, attitude and overall desire to be a professional are reasons why some of the better Jr A players dont play CHL.

Last edited by ORYX: 09-06-2012 at 08:29 AM.
ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote