View Single Post
Old
09-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
To a point. Carter and Richards are not exactly cheap.

And I am not even sure what so-called management powers they lost. Bettman got the owners EVERYTHING that they wanted. And now, AGAIN they are complaining about rising salaries? Who asked them to give out such contracts? And the joke of it is, that they continue to give them out as we speak. Telling a player that he cannot be a free agent until he has 10 years of service time is not a management power. You cannot simply set collective bargaining back 50 years becuase you feel like it. The NFL is an owners league. Somewhow, they still believe in free agency.

What management powers did they loose? That the union denied them a realignment? Again, welcome to the world of a CBA.
That is exactly the management power they "gave" in the last CBA--players had the ability to prevent the league from going ahead with realignment. And, since the players didn't like their proposal--which I thought was unfair (uneven conferences) and bad for rivalaries (the Rangers would see teams outside their division once a year at the Garden--increasing games with Western teams, while decreasing games with rivals like Boston, Montreal, Toronto, and Buffalo), now they want it back.

I also wonder if this has something to do with the players participating in the Olympics in 2014--Bettman has indicated in the past the league would prefer not to participate, while it's something many players (including I bet Lundqvist) are eager to do again.