View Single Post
Old
12-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I doubt any of us who feel strongly one way or another about the current management group will be swayed by the other side, but I'm impressed that so many posters still support Lowe during a time when the team is at a low ebb.
If you remember, even weeks before Craig Button was fired, Calgary fans felt staunchly that he was a good GM, too. A month later, Button was a fool.

I think many fans identify their allegiance to a team as through the general manager as much as the players. In fact, some take it so far that any questioning of the GM's abilities is considered as an attack on the team, the fans, and the city. In fact, lowetide, I'm sure you might remember a very long thread that had me and you (amongst others) arguing about Lowe's ability as a GM (and breifly about MacTavish's ability as a coach).

Still, enough losing will turn even the most staunchest allies to a manager or a coach against them.

The most optimistic fans, such as yourself, lowetide, could be accused of perhaps overlooking mistakes or weakness' in a manager, whereas the pessimists are all too quick to run a guy out of town.

Still, most fans are ruthless optimists. In particular with Lowe as he was a former player (and a very good one at that).