View Single Post
Old
09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
I really like the points Krishna made. Quite frankly, as far as the owners are concerned, Bettman makes them money... period. However, you wonder if the whole Phoenix situation has prevented even bigger revenue.

My personal feeling is that Phoenix should should have just be sold and moved... period. That team will never make the kind of money that other markets with hockey fans could produce. I understand the issues the league has with Basillie, but had they let him purchase the team and move it, revenues could have been even better. If you ask me, Toronto and Buffalo were probably the only two teams that might be negatively effected had the team moved to Hamilton.

Even if not Basillie, they could have just allowed the team to go back to Winnipeg where it belonged in the first place. The fact that so much frustration came out of the Phoenix saga, you wonder how the Atlanta situation was figured out so quickly.

I'm really no expert when it comes to this stuff... I just like the game of hockey, and wonder why a commissioner will fight through just about anything to keep a team in a city that doesn't care. Beyond the Phoenix situation, I can nitpick a little bit. Like the changing of the division/conference names to regional names. That's sort of the shining example of the decisions Bettman has made that really irk the longtime hockey fans.

Above all though, as a Flyers fan, it pains me to say this... Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are really two huge reasons the NHL has grown into the popularity it has today with its monster revenues. If not for those two and the hype the NHL pushed around them, I really don't see the NHL is where it is today. You could say that Bettman orchestrated that hype, but it really was a no-brainer. You can also point to the fact that the SC Finals from 2008-2011 all featured teams that have great fan bases and immense national popularity.

In conclusion, the good things Bettman has done through the years, IMO, could be done by another qualified individual running the league based on the owners' wants and needs. But the whole Phoenix situation really drags him down to the point that if there is another lockout, he might need to be fired just to appease the masses.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote