View Single Post
Old
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
If I was going to post a "Dream Lineup", ignoring the likely impossibilities of dumping Zednik, Bonk, Ribs, etc, while still giving a nod to fiscal reality. Hmm. Ok:

Ryder-Koivu-Higgins
Dumont - Lang - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Langenbrunner
Lapierre - Begin - Murray
Ribeiro/Downey

Comments:
- Traded Zednik and Aebischer for Lang. We're adding $7M for Langenbrunner + Lang there, fantasy-subtracting $5.6M for Bonk, Bulis, and Zednik, and another $1M on the Aebischer/Danis switch, so we can manage those two old Langs signings at break-even.

- Signed Langenbrunner for $3.1M (but I'm ready to settle for some other lesser option if, I dunno, Halpern, Chris Clark, Peca, Dallas Drake, even old guys like Scott Mellanby or Shanahan become happen to be there at some reasonable combination of $$$/term. Basically a gritty guy who can play a bit, needs to get into the mix somehow.

- Bonk traded for a 2029 7th round pick

- Ribeiro still in the mix as a Black Ace, I guess.

- I can't decide if I want a gritty guy to dig on the Lang/Kovalev line, or somebody who will make them scarier with pure speed. Dumont is kind of a placeholder. Afinogenov, Dumont, if guys from Buffalo really are UFA, it would be a double-whammy to sign them away. If Selanne wants to come and join Koivu (which I can't see), he's welcome and Higgins can drop down. We're past break-even on salary additions now, so I'm capping this addition at $3M too, to keep an overall payroll around $40-41M.

- I'm going to leave our D as-is. But sign some extra top-notch AHL depth for Hamilton, including Dan Smith plus one more offensive guy there too. Although I'll still watch and see if any Spacek/Kubina types end up somehow becoming available for less than I think they deserve. I doubt it will happen. I doubt we'd have the budget from Mr. G anyway.

- Huet and Danis are the french connection in goal. Wait and see what happens with Biron too, but presumably somebody else who truly needs a goalie will go for him.

All just fuzzy ideas which I'm sure will need considerably more refinement up to and beyond July 1st, when we find out for real who the FAs will be and what they command.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote