View Single Post
Old
09-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Til the End of Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
People have unrealistic expectations if they think Letang has to improve to deserve a huge deal. There are 4 players who've finished in the Top 10 in Norris voting the past two years - Weber, Lidstrom, Chara, and Letang. Lidstrom's retired, and I don't see Weber or Chara going anywhere.

The Pens were terrible defensively this past playoffs, but Letang was the best by far of any of our defensemen who played significant minutes. He didn't play up to his usual standard, but none of our big-time players outside of Staal did.

Letang's the one player on our defense who we should be building around, and the last player we should be nickel-and-diming when contract time rolls around. If we don't pay him, there'll be 29 other teams falling over each other to do it.
i've seen you say this a few times, but i just don't buy it. he was terrible defensively. if martin/michalek/orpik were F-, then letang was an F+, so the line "our best defensive d-man" is meaningless.

you dont have one of the worst GAA in history if your #1 dman played a good defensive game. hes the leader of your defense and your defense was terrible, so he deserves a lot of blame.

sure teams will overpay for letang, but right now he is more style than substance. thats pretty much what i attribute his norris voting to (most recent norris winner is great example of style over substance).

some team may pay this current version of letang seven million, but i dont believe hes currently worth that to the penguins. particularly on a long term deal, when the pens have talented youngsters that have a reasonable chance of filling his role.