Thread: Proposal: Edmonton - Phoenix
View Single Post
Old
09-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Southern Oil

vCash: 500
I've wanted Tambellini to add someone to our defense all summer long. But as much as it pains me to say this, I don't think the time is right for this kind of deal.

Looking at the three players / assets from the Oil side:
- In order to trade Gagner you need to make sure you can fill the 2C roll. Others have mentioned Horcoff but I don't think he would get a sniff of that spot. You would have to be sure that Hall could fill it. But at this point, he hasn't played a game of center in the NHL. Maybe if he had played a month or two last year, you would know if he could handle playing the middle. But right now - no idea. Trading Gagner would be a pretty risky move. Maybe at the deadline if Hall moves to C.

- I might be in the minority among Oiler fans that don't want to trade MPS. I see him potentially filling in the 3rd line really well. People can argue all day long about drafting a third liner in the 10 spot, but if you look at our top two lines, a good third liner is exactly what we need. I think he could pot you 15 goals a season and keep the puck moving in the right direction. He is defensively quite aware for a young player. That's a pretty valuable piece for us IMO. I might even consider moving a D prospect before moving MPS if possible.

- the first as has been mentioned - just too early given our history to trade it.

I don't have time to watch other teams much so I am not going to comment on the deal from the Yotes side of things. But that's how I see it from Edmonton. Don't think it is worth the risk as I think we need one more year before doing this kind of deal. I don't think removing Gagner & MPS and adding Yandle gets us to the playoffs. If it did, I would reconsider.

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote