Thread: Proposal: Vancouver - San Jose
View Single Post
Old
09-07-2012, 08:39 PM
CanuckLuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I would hope that you noticed that only Henrik Lundqvist was considered an elite goalie leading up to this season. Quick was a good but not top ten goalie before this past season. Brodeur was next to retirement and had team issues getting out of the first round. And Mike Smith was a cast-off. Goalies put in the right position can do wonders and it's not because there isn't necessarily anything special about that netminder as it is just finding the right fit and system to play in.
Lundqvist is the best goaltender in the league and is the primary reason the Rangers finished #2 in the league last year.

Both Quick and Smith had remarkable seasons. In fact, a lot of Kings AND Coyotes fans would agree the only reason their teams made the playoffs was from great goaltending. So when they continued their play in the post-season it wasn't exactly out of nowhere. Both of these teams were driven by solid goaltending.

Brodeur may be the only exception. He is on the decline but is still widely considered one of the most consistent goaltenders of all-time.

And just to add to that, the Canucks only won the Presdent's trophy last year because of remarkable goaltending. Luongo and Schneider bailed the team out often times last year. So my point is-What's your reason for believing goaltenders don't play as big of a part? To me, the difference between good and bad goaltending is the difference between a Stanley Cup winner and a team that misses the playoffs.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote