View Single Post
Old
09-08-2012, 12:15 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
My uncle was a big hockey fan and would always talk about it when I was a kid growing up on Long Island in the 80s. He was very neutral so I just thought it was cool there were two teams in NY. Hockey was all over the place there then for obvious reasons so I remember a lot of back and forth between the fan bases in the streets, in stores, and I especially remember those awful "New York" road jerseys the Rangers wore.

I really started watching both teams in the late 80s and just enjoyed the Rangers more, the Garden, the jerseys, Sam and JD, Leetch, Richter, Sandstrom, Kissio, etc. so the Islanders just became the enemy especially when I pledged my allegiance in elementary school to the Rangers.

There was a lot of taunting and 1940 chants so I grew to hate their fan base more and more every day. It was great in 1990 and 1994 when the Rangers smacked them around in the playoffs.

There was one player on the Islanders I really liked though as I was a goalie growing up, so it was pretty cool when Glen Healy became the backup in 1993-94 and won a Cup with the Rangers.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote