View Single Post
Old
09-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Til the End of Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I definitely disagree. Letang wasn't great, but he was hardly terrible. I'd have given him a C, and if we were grading on a curve he'd have rated a hell of a lot better.

You can absolutely have one of the worst GAAs in history if 3/4 of your top 4 plays like ass and your goalie lets in every puck shot at him (and some that aren't).

Letang's a very good defenseman, but he can't make Martin win a 50/50 battle or prevent Fleury from throwing pucks in his own net. Those were the balance-tippers.
still not buying it. no frakking way was he average defensively. you are probably the only pens fan that thinks he was decent.

he sucked, the entire team sucked, they were embarassing, lets accept it and move on.

Quote:
That about says it all. Karlsson winning the Norris isn't "style over substance". Offense isn't everything, but it's definitely substantive, particularly when its miles above every other player at your position.

Letang's one of the best defensemen in the league. He deserves to be paid like it.
but there is more to winning hockey games than points, particularly for a d-men, yadda yadda yadda, plus/minus, mike green, [insert various boring arguments here].

Quote:
You'd realize his value very quickly if we lost him and had to rely on Martin, Orpik, bottom-pairing defensemen, rookies, and whatever we could scrape up in UFA. If our management were ever stupid enough to let Letang go, I hope he'd go to the Flyers just so they could see their colossal mistake up close for years to come.

You don't deal players like Letang on a hope and a prayer that your teenage blueliners will be able to come in and replace a 50+ point defenseman. If Morrow or Despres comes in and scores 40+ points at some point over the next two years while providing a great defensive game, then we can talk. But that doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation to me.
im not advocating trading letang now or even in the future. but i do not believe this current version of letang is worth seven million dollars to the penguins. the strength of the pens prospects is obviously in the blueline, with guys who play a somewhat similar role (if not exact same style) to letang. the benefit of having those young players in a cap world is obviously you can pay them a lot less than vets. despres, morrow, etc obviously aren't sure bets to even be NHL players, but its not outlandish to suggest they might one day become top pairing guys. its not like i'm suggesting bortuzzo can become shea weber.

its literally almost the exact the same thing that happened with gonchar. if the young fellas can step in, contribute and give management confidence they can be top notch defensemen in the league, you dump the overpriced veteran.

maybe ill feel comfortable giving letang big money when this team actually goes somewhere in the playoffs with him as their #1 d-man. but so far, eh, not so much.