View Single Post
Old
09-08-2012, 01:27 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I grew up skating, living in small Canadian towns always near a rink and with a brother who played organized hockey. I was always that one kid who couldn't stop but I could switch to skate backwards if I wasn't going to fast and never had a problem doing crossovers. So when I started playing ice hockey at 27 I thought my skating would be decent enough (once I learned how to stop)... and I was wrong.

It took me a few months and a power skating class to go from a public skating champ to passable hockey skating. And even now a few years later while I do well enough there's still a distinct difference between me and the guys that played all their lives. Doesn't mean it isn't worth it, hockey is the funnest sport I could be playing right now, but it's kind of a tough pill to swallow when playing sports growing up my running/speed was always my biggest strength.

So yeah, it's definitely a worthwhile sport to play but if you're starting without ever having really skated before you're going to want to be spending lots of extra time at public skates to get up to speed.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote